Getting Paid in the 21st Century
As a lawyer who doesn't understand the laws of gift cards, gift certificates, money transmitter laws, and other seemingly arcane and esoteric areas of the law, this program was great. I came away with the following general conclusions:
- I'm never going to operate anything that might walk, talk, or quack like a money transmitter operation.
- If a client ever does anything like that, I'm not going to be their lawyer; I'd screw it up.
- Gift cards may be riskier than I thought.
- States don't seem to understand these issues very well, but they sure seem to be passing a lot of laws on the topics.
- More laws are coming. They will probably be worse, and cause even more confusion.
- If you're in the business of moving a lot of cash (like the US Govt), you can save a lot of money by switching to stored value cards.
Here are the program materials. [ABA ID REQUIRED]