Join the Cyberspace Law Committee at the ABA 2004 Annual Meeting

Saturday, August 07, 2004

Is Blogger "Snooping" on our Posts?

Blogger provides this web service to host and run our Blog for free. The trade off is that Blogger serves up two small ads at the top of every page view. If you have been logging into the Blog regularly, you'll notice the ads seem to be based on the content of the posts to the Blog. The two most common ads are for hotels in Atlanta and for wireless lan security products.

I'm sure I agreed to this when I didn't read the user terms and accepted them. But, it's interesting. No?

It's also very similar to what Google (the owner of Blogger) is doing with its by-invitation-only GMAIL service. I have an account, and the ads are targeted to the words in my email messages.

So, let's all be careful about what we talk about in our posts.